로그인

• 목록
  • 아래로
  • 위로
  • 쓰기
  • 검색

예화 <font color="blue">[향기로운 삶] 반쪽짜리 편지

첨부 1

달호 아저씨는 어느 날 엉뚱한 편지 한 통을 받았습니다.  겉봉을 보면 친구가 보낸 게 분명한데, 속에 든 알맹이는 뚱딴지 같았습니다. 저번에 누구 결혼식 때 왜 오지 않았느냐는 등 올해를 넘기기 전에 한번 만나자는 등 알 수 없는 이야기만 늘어놓고 있었습니다.
“무슨 이런 편지가!”
그 편지를 막 구겨 버리려던 달호 아저씨가 멈칫했습니다. 이어서 입가에 엷은 미소가 번졌습니다.
“이 친구도 참... 깜빡했구먼.”
몇 사람에게 보낼 편지를 한꺼번에 썼다가 그만 봉투와 속편지가 뒤바뀐 모양이라는 짐작을 했던 것입니다. 아마도 달호 아저씨한테 올 편지는 다른 누구에게 가 있을 터입니다. 달호 아저씨는 편지를 새 봉투에 고이 넣었습니다. 그리고는 그 친구의 주소를 쓰다 말고 잠시 생각에 잠겼습니다.

이내 달호 아저씨의 눈에는 눈물이 얼비쳤고, 자꾸 눈을 꿈벅거렸습니다. 한참 잊고 지냈던 반쪽짜리 편지가 문득 떠올랐던 것입니다. 고등학생 달호는 한 달에 한번 꼴로 반쪽짜리 편지를 받았습니다. 가위로 반쪽만 자른 누런 종이에 연필로 꾹꾹 눌러 가며 서툰 글씨로 쓴 편지... 그것은 시골에서 아버지가 보낸 편지였습니다. 봉투에는 ‘최달호 앞’이라고 쓰여 있었지만, 편지는 늘 ‘영숙아..’로 시작되었습니다.
‘영숙아, 보내 준 돈은 네 오빠 등록금으로 보냈다. 고맙다. 네 오빠는 나보다 더 너를 고맙게 생각할 것이다.’
여동생 영숙이는 초등학교만 졸업하고 차장으로 일하고 있습니다. 그 시절엔 버스에 차장이 있었습니다. 열네댓 살 안팎의 여자아이들인데, 버스에서 손님들한테 일일이 요금 받는 일을 했습니다. 승객들이 오르내리는 것도 도왔으며, 차장이 “오라잇!” 하고 소리쳐야 버스가 출발할 수 있었습니다. 새벽 일찍부터 밤 늦게까지 하루 종일 버스를 타고 다니며 시달리는 힘든 직업이었습니다. 어려운 형편에 달호가 도시 고등학교로 전학하자, 영숙이는 중학교에도 못 가고 차장으로 나선 것이었습니다. 자취를 하면서 학교에 다니는 달호도 늘 바빴습니다. 영숙이는 합숙소에서 생활했기 때문에 서로 만나기가 힘들었습니다. 그러나 달호가 아버지의 편지를 받은 날에는 어떻게든 틈을 내어 영숙이를 찾아갔습니다.
버스 종점에 가서 기다리다 보면, 영숙이가 일하는 버스가 들어왔습니다. 영숙이는 달호를 발견하고는 손짓만 보내고 사무실로 뛰어들어가 요금을 납부했습니다. 그런 뒤 버스가 출발할 때까지 몇 분 동안 오빠 달호를 만났습니다.
“오빠, 편지!”
“자, 너도”
남매는 아버지의 편지를 서로 바꾸었습니다. 영숙이가 받은 편지는 ‘달호야...’로 시작되었습니다.
‘이번에 네 성적이 더 올랐더구나. 기쁘다. 이 아비보다 영숙이가 더 기뻐할 것이다. 너는 아무 생각 말고 공부나 파고들어라.’
편지도 아직 덜 읽었는데 저쪽에서 운전기사가 ‘빵빵’경적을 울렸습니다. 그러면 영숙이는 서둘러 달려가며 말했습니다.
“오빠, 잘 가! 노는 날에 오빠한테 갈께. 빨래하지 말고 그냥 둬.”
“한 달에 겨우 하루 노는데 그냥 쉬어.”
“아버지가 편지에 그러라고 하셨어.”
“미안해.”
“오빠도 별소리 다한다.”
영숙이는 하얀 이를 가지런히 내보이고는 버스 안으로 사라졌습니다. 이런 날이면 달호는  한숨도 자지 않고 밤을 꼬박 새우며 공부했습니다. 이런 반쪽짜리 편지는 고등학교를 졸업할 때까지 계속되었습니다. 아버지는 그 반쪽짜리 편지를 통해 남매가 한 달에 한 번씩은 만나게 만들었고, 또 서로를 이해하도록 이끌었던 것입니다. 그 뒤 달호가 서울에 있는 대학에 다니게 되면서부터 온쪽 편지로 바뀌었습니다.
달호 아저씨는 잘못온 편지를 넣은 봉투에 주소를 다시 썼습니다. 풀로 붙여 봉 한 뒤에 자리에서 벌떡 일어섰습니다. 그러더니 안쪽을 향해 소리쳤습니다.
“여보, 우리 지금 애들 고모한테 갔다 옵시다.”
“아니, 무슨 일이예요?”
아내가 들어오며 물었습니다.
“오래 못 봤잖소. 보고 싶어 그래요.”
“뭐가 오래 못 봤어요. 고모네가 다녀간 지 한달도 채 안 됐는데...”
“한 달이면 오래지!”
아이들의 고모 영숙이는 벌써 마흔 줄에 들어선 나이였습니다. 성실한 운전기사를 만나 결혼을 했습니다. 부부가 워낙 알뜰한 덕분에 아이들 고모부는 지금 개인 택시를 끌며 남부럽지 않게 살고 있습니다.
“얘들아, 뭐하니? 어서 가자.”
달호 아저씨가 아이들을 재촉했습니다.
“꾸물거리는 건 아빠예요. 빨리 오세요.”
아이들이 차 안에서 ‘빵빵’경적이 울렸습니다. 순간 달호 아저씨는 문득 지난날 영숙이를 만나러가 종점에서 듣던 그 경적을 떠올렸습니다.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Choi received a letter one day.  On the envelope was the name of his friend but the letter inside was not for him.  The content of the letter was asking reasons for not being present at the wedding and wanting to see him before the year ends.  ?hat a letter!  He suddenly recalled past memories as he was ready to throw away the letter,  a little smile appeared in his face. ?his friend must have made a mistake.  Apparently he has written several letters at once and put the letter in the wrong envelope.  The letter written to him must have been sent to other person.  As he put the letter in a new envelope and began to address the letter on the envelope, he paused a moment in thought.  Tears came his eyes and kept blinking.  He happened to remember a half piece of a letters.

When he was in high school he used to receive such a letter once a month.  On a half sheet of a yellowed paper cut with scissors, his father would write letter with a pencil... from a country.  On the envelope was addressed to ?alho Choi  but the letter inside never failed  to  begin with ?oungsook.  ?oungsook, the money you sent was given to your brother for his registration fee.  Thank you.  Your brother would sure appreciate it more than me.  Youngsook graduated from grade school only to work as an assistant to bus driver collecting bus fare.  There was a job like that at the time.  Girls of about age fourteen or fifteen would be hired to collect bus fare,  and to help the rider get on the bus.  They would yell out ?ll right  to the driver, then the bus would start moving.  It was tiring job working from early morning till late into the night.  To support her brother through high school, she had to quit her school. 

Mr. Choi kept busy with his study always and Youngsook and he could not see each other often.  Though he made an effort to visit his sister when he received father? letter.  As he waited at the end of bus station, Youngsook would arrive in her bus.  Youngsook would wave hand and walk in to the office to hand in the money.  And then right before the bus starts for another round they would visit for a few minutes.  ?rother, here is the letter!  ?ere, for you too.  The two of them would exchange the letters.  The letter Youngsook received would begin with ?alho, your grade is better this time.  I am happy.  Youngsook would be happier than me I am sure.  Don? worry about anything, and just study.  The bus driver would honk even before the letter was read through, then Youngsook would hurry saying ?ye bye brother,  I will come to see you on my day off.  Don? do the laundry, I will do it.  ?ou only have one day off in a month, don? worry.  ?ather said in his letter that I should.  ? am sorry.  ?on? mention it brother.  Youngsook smiled at me and disappeared into the bus.  On a day like this, Mr. Choi would stay up all night studying.  The letters have been sent until high school graduation.  Father? letter made the brother and sister meet once a month and keep their relationship close.  Only a half piece of a letter turned into a whole piece letter since he entered college. 

Mr. Choi corrected the address on the envelope, sealed it and then stood up calling out to his wife, ?et? go visit my sister.  ?hy all of a sudden?  The wife asked.  ?e haven? seen her in a long time.  I miss her.  ?t has been less than a month since she visited us.  ? month is a long time.  His sister is in her fourties being married  to a nice taxi driver.  Both of them manage finance well, so he drives his own taxi  and have a comfortable life.  ?urry!  Let? get going.  He got impatient.  ?urry, daddy! You are slow.  Children got in the car and honked.  Mr Choi reminisced of Youngsook at the bus depot as he heard the sound of the honking.

이런 글도 찾아보세요!

공유

facebooktwitterpinterestbandkakao story
퍼머링크

댓글 0

권한이 없습니다. 로그인

신고

"님의 댓글"

이 댓글을 신고 하시겠습니까?

삭제

"님의 댓글"

이 댓글을 삭제하시겠습니까?